Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Ironing

Since I am totally in to cleaning, I thought I would post about it once a week, you know, give little tips, etc. So my friend Erin told me I should do the Works for Me Wednesday thing, so here it goes!

One thing that really helps me with my ironing, is to sort it before I do it. Let me explain. As I get clothes out of the dryer, I sort them, on my hanging rack, first between whose they are. Mine, my husband's, my kids, etc. Then within each large category, I sort them by clothing item. So, in my husband's group, there are pants, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, etc.

This makes it nice for a couple of reasons. First, it gives me little goals to accomplish, i.e. I finished all of his pants! This breaks up the big job of ironing into little attainable chunks so I don't get overwhelmed. The other reason I do this, is because it makes it so much easier to put them away. I have all of the pants together and I can hang them all at once instead of hanging each piece of clothing in the closet. This really helps because while our closet is a good size, we have a fair number of clothes to put away, so there is always smooshing involved to fit the clean clothes. After typing this, I realized that this only really matters if your closet is organized. Mine of course is, Type A - I can't help it, even down to the hangers, only white tubular and I have different kinds for different types of clothes. I know, I know, I need help!

The other thing I do with ironing, is I do all of the clothes before I hang them in the closet. This way, there is not a rush to do it before someone needs to wear it. I also try and do it right after I wash the clothes so that it doesn't become too daunting of a task!

4 comments:

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom said...

Depending on how cluttered my brain is that day, I love to fold and iron as they come out of the dryer. Pants iron much easier when warm and fresh from the dryer!
I do believe that our brains were separated at birth!!!! I don't have all the same hangers, but I do feel the same sense of accomplishment to have ironed all the pants, then shirts, then kid clothes, etc!
Can't wait to see you!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I usually only iron a few shirts...but I can see how your system would work real well if you had a lot of ironing to do each week.

I do love a nicely pressed shirt!

Have a fabulous day!
Kristin

My WFMW this week is Pack & Ship

All Things Red said...

You know, there IS therapy for this...... hee hee!!

The MAN Fan Club said...

I do the ironing in my house. I only iron as I need something.