Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Being a Mom

I have been thinking about writing on this topic for a while now, but have been really motivated by Tessie's blog. When you get pregnant, if you are anything like me, you buy and read every book on raising children, being pregnant, what to expect, etc., etc. You also sign up for classes at the hospital you are delivering or a local church. I did all of this! With that being said, I did gain a lot of useful advice from these tools, but it is most definitely not the be all end all of parenting. I think that these are good tools, but as with everything, you have to take it with a grain of salt and go with your gut. I believe that God has equipped us with the tools and know-how to be parents. Granted some may appear (or actually be) better parents than others, but it comes down to what works for you and your family. That could mean being a stay-at-home mom, that could mean being a working mom, it could mean letting your child sleep with you in your bed, it could mean letting them watch TV all of the time. It could mean any of these things, but it also means that you have to let other parents be parents and make their own decisions and not judge them for it. On that note, all choices have consequences, so if you make a "bad" one or "wrong" one, don't complain when you are hit with the consequences.

This is what we have chosen to do, we followed Baby Wise (with a grain of salt) and let SD cry it out when she went to sleep, what did that mean for us, she slept through the night at 5 weeks. This worked for us, but if it doesn't fit your personality, don't do it because it will probably stress you out more than it is worth. I breast-fed her until she was 7 months old, it worked because she was good at it and I liked it, again, not for everyone. We follow a pretty strict schedule as far as naps, bedtime, etc. go, it works for us because I am OCD and like schedules and it seems like she thrives on her schedule. I work out of the home, because I believe that if I didn't, I might possibly go crazy and it allows (read forces) my husband to be the great dad that is super involved!

Bottom line, I think you have to find what works for you and do it. Don't judge what other people do and don't force what you do on other people!

Now, off my soapbox I go!

1 comment:

Tess said...

This is all right on.

I'm not against CIO at all, and would be willing to try it with a future baby, depending on the baby's personality. But with AD, it just wouldn't work.

I read a really good passage in the Girlfriends Guide to Toddlers last night (SHUT UP) that said there's a reason God entrusted the care of infants to young and inexperienced people...so we could grow and learn together. I like it :-)