Monday, February 25, 2008

Breaks My Heart

I was at the grocery store on Sunday evening and I heard a little girl crying to her mom, "Mama, mama" I looked over and saw the parents just looking in disbelief at the child. I don't know what was happening, but the little girl sounded so distressed, it just broke my heart. I had to hurry to get away because it was really hurting me to hear that sound. I don't know if she was in trouble, or if she is neglected, or what. Personally I thought it was past her bedtime, but I don't know the whole situation. My biggest fear is that SD will have this empty feeling longing for me and that is something I never want her to feel. I don't know why this is such a big fear, I never felt that as a child, or at least not that I can remember. For some reason, I think about if something were to happen to me and the feeling she might feel, of being alone and scared. I always go get her in the middle of the night when I can tell she has had a nightmare or something, I don't want her to feel scared and alone. Lately she has started whining for me a lot more and it is so hard because sometimes, I have to let her cry it out, when I know it is just because she hasn't had enough sleep and needs to cry herself back to sleep, but nevertheless, it still totally tugs on my heart strings. I know there are so many kids out there whose parents don't care and they feel this all of the time, and it totally breaks my heart (then I read this blog and about died). Thankfully we all have a Father who is always there for us no matter what our age or situation. But, I do believe that parents are supposed to be an earthly example of that Father so that our kids can understand their heavenly Father a little better.

3 comments:

Tess said...

It's weird that we worry about this so much, when clearly we ARE there for them.

For me, the big fear is that something will happen to ME, and I won't be there. Before I had AD, I didn't worry much about dying, and now I DO.

Erin said...

Those are exactly my feelings. And when you read about what someone does to an innocent child, you just wonder how? I am going to take it as a sign that we are fabulous moms!

Erin said...

I worry about the exact same thing. What if something happens to me and I can't be there for Hailey anymore? I feel the same way you do, I always want Hailey to feel like I'm there for her. That's something I think about a lot.