Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Being a Mom

God has revealed to me that I need to cherish each moment of being a mom. Their little lives are so important and every detail needs to be cherished and enjoyed while it is happening. As He revealed this to me, he also put a friend of mine on my mind. Her name is Melissa. She started out as a friend of a friend, but I would venture to say that through scrapbooking we have become friends. Not the kind of friends who talk every day, or at all really, but I truly enjoy her company when I am blessed by it. She has two daughters and one of them is SD's age, almost exactly. So, why did God put her on my heart?

Well, I truly believe that she lives in the moment and truly enjoys being a mom. I have never once heard her complain about her kids or being exhausted. She always talks positively about her husband and truly enjoys his company (he is a fireman, so they get to spend days together on his off days, etc). She is her own person, not consumed by her husband or kids, but it seems to me like she is full of joy. I want to be more like that! I started wondering what made her this way, especially with her job as a mom, because I often find myself frustrated when my kids are not doing what my plan is for them. What I believe God revealed to me was that she truly saw her kids as a gift from God. Why is her view so different? I kind of think it has something to do with the fact that she had a really hard time getting pregnant with both girls and when she did, she knew it was a gift. I, on the other hand, had it really easy getting pregnant, BG and I just had to look at each other. I started thinking about people I know who have kids and don't seem to enjoy them as much as she does. They all had really easy times getting pregnant. I am not saying that this is the only reason for her attitude, but I think it has something to do with it. She learned a lesson through her struggles, that God has blessed her with those girls. I want to be more like her. Not stressed when things aren't going my way, enjoying even those very trying times, living in the moment, even if it is 2 am and I can't get my kids to stop crying. God gives us all of those for a reason.

On Sunday, I started trying to live this way. SD was a much happier kid, I was a happier mom, Linus did well and BG, well he had a good Father's Day! Pray for me, please! I want to enjoy the moment, whatever that may be!

1 comment:

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom said...

Seriously! I continue to be amazed as I read your posts and how similar our lives, experiences, beliefs and thoughts are!

We will be in SA for 10 days-2 weeks over Christmas! And our 'rents are practically neighbors! (I ran by your street on a training run when we were in SA in April!)

I should make reservations soon...I'll let you know!