Monday, July 21, 2008

Slowing Down

Although Jesus was busy, the Bible never mentions Him being in a hurry.

I read this in my daily devotional that comes to my email and it struck me. This is something that I was convicted of a while back. Daily I see people rushing to work, rushing home and simply rushing through life. I used to be that way. I had a certain amount of things that I wanted to get done and if I didn't, I was a failure.

I realized that God wants me to enjoy every minute, no matter if I am stuck in traffic, cleaning up a dirty diaper or waiting on hold for the person on the other line. Sometimes there is a lesson in that waiting time.

I also read someone's blog and it talked about enjoying each moment. She was saying that she was always looking forward to the next season in her life and by doing that, she was missing out on the current season. I do this ALL the time, especially with my kids. I can't wait until I can take them to Sea World, I can't wait until they can play together, I can't wait until they are potty trained. But I am learning to enjoy each aspect of my life and theirs. I am cherishing the fact that Linus is still getting up in the middle of the night. I am cherishing that SD is trying to share with Linus and doesn't understand that he can't play with her just yet. I am cherishing that my husband is starting a new business and isn't always that busy and can help me out at home. I am cherishing his company during the day and standing by him as he embarks on something new. I am cherishing the time I sit in the car waiting, because it means more time to talk with my kids. I am cherishing every aspect of my life as it happens. I know that someday I will look back and be amazed at how fast it went by.

I can be busy, but I don't want to be in too much of a hurry that life simply passes me by!

1 comment:

Becca in Texas said...

I have been talking to my lil sis about this a lot right now. About how sad I am that I did not have good perspective on life at her stage. I hope she will hear me and be happy and content to enjoy each moment. I wish I had known that back then.