Friday, August 22, 2008

Quick to Anger

I have found myself recently getting frustrated very easily with SD. She is at that trying age, pushing her limits to see how far she can go. I know that this is only the beginning of that and in comparison, right now is nothing! I know that I need to deal with it now and learn some “coping” techniques so that when she is 13, we won’t have as many issues. I have been very frustrated with myself for snapping when she does something and popping her ever so lightly in the heat of the moment. That is not how I want to parent, I know that it will stop working at some point. I got this devotional today, and of course, it was perfect! Thank God for His amazing timing!

When my patience wears thin, I find myself strikingly similar to the person spoken about in Ecclesiastes 7:9: a fool with a lap of anger. Unfortunately, when that lap is full, it only takes the slightest spark for frustration and anger to spill over onto some unsuspecting victims.
I know God is calling me to deal with this anger in a healthy and godly way. When my spirit is provoked, my first response should be to hold my tongue. While that doesn’t deal with the heart issue, it does keep me from speaking hurtful words that can never be withdrawn. But I can’t leave it there. I must address ongoing parental frustration as a spiritual issue and bring my concerns to God in prayer. I find that as I honestly confess my sin, the door is opened for God to bring His healing peace into my heart.
Anger over injustice is good. Anger over childish behavior isn’t. When I don’t confess my inappropriate anger to God, it just starts building up, making me a fool with a full lap. I’m so glad God offers me forgiveness when I mess up, and puts me back on the path of developing a sweet spirit of patience and gentleness within me. That’s the kind of mother I want to be.

No comments: