Monday, November 3, 2008

Chapter 1

As promised, only a little late! I was a little under the weather unfortunately! So here is the start of this Bible Study, I hope that you have enjoyed reading it! I am just going to put my thoughts and observations down and hope that you will do the same in the comments. The book is Life Management for Busy Women by Elizabeth George. Okay, here goes!

Developing a Passion for God's Word

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

  • We must be women who wait on the Lord

How do we do this?

  1. Daily time in the Bible
  2. Give the first minutes of every day to reading God's Word (Prov 3:9), I think this is really important because for me, it sets the tone of my day
  3. Early Time - I have been trying to get up before the kids and my hubby each morning so that I have early, quiet time to spend with Him. One note in the book that I loved talked about other predators that come to compete for our time and energy. I had never thought about all of the other stuff in my life as predators, but even though they are good things, they can be predatory of our time and our energy!

The book then describes God's Word ...it is the heart of God; a good use of your time; teaches you; reproves you; corrects, mends and instructs; equips, guides and cheers us. One thing that my pastor said this weekend, was that unless you are filled with the Holy Spirit the Bible only seems like a history book. Once we accept Jesus the words jump off the page and mean something to us. The cool thing about reading the Bible is that at different times, different passages jump out at you depending on what is going on in your life.

So, what were your thoughts on Chapter 1? The first couple chapters for me were more foundational, I think the real meat of the book comes later!

Have a good day!

No comments: