Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Memorial Day

I live in a house that was built in the late 60's and most of my neighbors are the original owners. It is great because the neighborhood is sleepy, well kept and friendly. The other thing that I noticed, actually BG pointed it out, is their respect for the American Flag. Most of my neighbors have flags flying in their yards. Not the cute little decorator flags like I have, but American flags. And they don't just leave it out there all the time. At night, if they leave their flag out, it has a spotlight on it. I really noticed this Memorial Weekend, there were even more flags than usual and my neighbors really decorated for the holiday. Not just to decorate, but because it really means something to them. I think that my generation takes for granted our patriotic holidays and we just see it as an extra day off work! It was so refreshing to see the care and importance that my neighbors put into Memorial Day, and I am sure it will be the same for the 4th of July and Labor day!

1 comment:

All Things Red said...

I just love seeing patriotism like this. They aren't getting publicity for their 'good deeds' or 'correct flag positioning' - they do it because it's the right thing to do to honor those that fought for our freedom. LOVE IT! Yay for your neighborhood!