Thursday, December 9, 2010

From Silver Spoons to Silver Plated

In the past I have been very cautious telling people where I grew up, especially if they were familiar with the area. The main reason behind it was because there is a certain stigma associated with how I grew up. You see, I grew up in a very priveliged area and lacked nothing as a child. I was spoiled to a point as far as most people think, because I never wanted for basic needs and even wants. My parents did a good job of not letting us get out of control. One example of this is with clothing. I remember in junior high wanting guess jeans, because everyone at my school had guess jeans. My mom simply wouldn't buy them for me, instead, I had Palomino Jeans. At the time I thought it was the worst thing ever, but I am so grateful because while she probably could have gotten them for me, I would have never learned the lesson that name brands are just that...Names! It doesn't mean they are better than the less famous brands. I think I owe my mom for teaching me to be a thrifty shopper. I am not obsessed with name brands, I think I actually err on the opposite side, I don't want a name brand just because it is a name brand, when sometimes the quality is superior. I don't have a coach purse or Miss Me Jeans, but I do have a pair of jeans from Ross that look just like them and I only paid $15! At the same time, my mom is very generous and still treats me on a fairly regular basis. I am thankful for both sides, the practical mom and the generous mom!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aaaaawwwwww thanks!!