Monday, July 28, 2008

Green Grass

Why do we always think the grass is greener on the other side? Is it part of being humans? It is so hard sometimes because it always seems like someone has it better than you do, or has more. Lately, God has really been opening my eyes to this and starting to "cure" me of my "jones-itus*." It is funny though, when you start coveting what someone else has, something always turns up to be wrong with the perfect picture you have painted in your head. Sure, I would love to have more disposable income, but I prefer my husband following his dream and being at home to watch his kids grow up. I would love to have a perfect body, but I am not willing to do it the unhealthy way. I would love to be at home more with my kids, but I am thankful that I have a job that I love and that gives me satisfaction. I would love....

We are doing a Bible Study with our LifeGroup about the Sabbath. The lesson this week was talking about being changed from the inside out. He told a story about a young boy that he ministered to, he finally got him to see his situation much differently than he was before. He said the boy's face and demeanor totally changed when he got it. Then he went on to say, "His attitude totally changed, although his circumstances didn't." This is kind of what I think about the green grass, the grass doesn't change colors, but when you change on the inside, you start to see the green grass on your lawn and maybe every one else's grass doesn't look as green as it used to.

What symptoms of "jones-itus" do you struggle with?

This disease of "jones-itus" is one of the main reasons I am trying to be transparent. None of us have it all together. There is always a want for something. I pray that we will stop acting like we have it together and be open and share our struggles, you never know who you might help in doing so!

*jones-itus refers to the old saying "Keeping up with the Jones" just in case you hadn't figured it out :)

2 comments:

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom said...

Friendships are true when we reveal to each other that we don't have it all together! I can't pretend for a minute that I do have it all together. And I'll let you know! There is much freedom in being transparent and vulnerable!
Contentment is hard to come by...some days are easier that others!
My latest "Take every thought captive"...how can I do this more?

loni said...

Our former pastor once said, "The grass isn't greener on the other side. The grass is greener where you water it."

It has stayed with me since then. I may always remember that quote. I love it because it is so true.