Monday, January 12, 2009

Cousin Memories

I was running the other day (okay it was about a month ago now!) and I run through the park in our neighborhood. I glanced down and saw the remnants of a cap gun, the little red circle that houses the "ammunition." All of a sudden memories came flooding back into my mind of when I was younger. I have a lot of cousins, but there are two in particular that I am really close to. They are they sons of my mom's sister. They are the sames ages as my younger sister and I are, so the four of us always were together. Not to mention that my mom and her sister are close, so we did lots together. We went to the same high school and still have a great time when we get together. So, why did those memories come back?

Well, my aunt and uncle have a cabin in Ruidoso, NM and we used to go there as kids. My aunt always tells the story of how she would take me with them so that I could take care of my cousins and help her out, I am only 6 months older than the oldest one if that tells you anything about my personality! Any way, I remember one summer we were up there and we bought cap guns and mexican jumping beans from the "Trading Post" and had a blast in the back yard "shooting" things. I still vividly remember this, and there is not much I remember from my childhood.

Unfortunately my kids do not have first cousins that are close in age or live near by. But, we have some distant (by blood anyway) cousins that we are very close with and thankfully, they will have plenty of opportunities to build these types of memories with them! I will post some pictures of their time together next time!

No comments: