Thursday, August 26, 2010

Breakfast

I have really been focusing on breakfast lately with my kids.  I am a morning person and they are too, so it is a perfect time to really pour into their lives.  Not only that, I really think that it sets the tone for the day.  I am trying to also set a healthy example and habit for them.  One of our favorite meals right now is homeade oatmeal.  I found the recipe at Kroger when I was shopping in the produce department.  We have modified a little bit because SD is pretty picky.  I have also added protein powder with lots of vitamins to increase that in my kids diet.  Here is a picture and the recipe!  Enjoy!

2 cups of milk
1 cup of water
1 tsp of vanilla (it is supposed to be 2, but we use a much stronger mexican vanilla...really the only way to go)
2 Tbsp of brown sugar
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
2 Tbsp of Protein Powder
1 1/2 C of plain oats

I mix all of the ingredients (in a pot) before adding the oats, because it makes it a little easier.  Then add the oats.  Put on med-high heat for 13-15 minutes.  Let cool and enjoy.  I make it right when I get home from the gym and the kids love to help me out!  Then we add raisins and "sprinkles" (Pampered Chef Vanilla Sugar I think).  SD has actually started asking for this in the morning with is nothing short of amazing, considering she would barely touch it when I first served it.  Linus can eat up to two bowls, he is going to be a linebacker!  This recipe makes 4 servings, but we usually finish it off in a morning :)

No comments: