Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Introducing...the newest member of our family

Don't get too excited, Linus is not here! This is about a more electrical member of our family. BG brought home a new vacuum for me yesterday!!! I know, it doesn't sound too exciting and it was not a late Mother's Day gift, although I would have been completely fine if it was!!! What led to this new purchase (if you read this blog at all, you would know that we are thrifty and don't spend money without extensive research).


Well, on Saturday I was cleaning the house and my vacuum finally just pooped out on me. I was in the middle of vacuuming and it just turned off. I thought I had blown a fuse or something, but that wasn't the case. I have had this vacuum for about 2 years and for the last 4 months or so, it has seemed something was wrong with it. It is supposed to be self-propelled and it is a Hoover, but it was so hard to push, that it was turning into a workout! It didn't seem to be working at all, and I had been telling BG about it, but I don't think he believed me!
Now to the disgusting part. This is what I emptied out of my new friend today.


That is the box that the vacuum came in, just to give you a point of reference as to how much crap was in my carpets. And the disgusting thing is that none of the carpet even looked dirty.

This is just wrong, for so many reasons. For starters, I just vacuumed on Saturday, yes, three days ago! That is just wrong! I absolutely HATE carpet, it grosses me out! Thankfully, only our bedroom has carpet in it, the rest of the house has hard floors. We have area rugs around the house and the appeared to be clean, but when I would be picking up SD's toys and got a close up of the rug, I could see dog hair and other dirt, etc. on them. The thing about carpet is that it seems cleaner because you can't see all of the crap that is buried in it, but in actuality, it is nasty, nasty stuff. I like my house clean, and have never felt like I could get the carpet in our bedroom clean. It is a beautiful, and I am sure expensive, carpet, but I can't wait to rip it out and put hard wood floors in it (our floors are beautiful and expensive, so it will probably be a while).
I am so glad to have my new vacuum, I actually spent about an hour vacuuming last night. I vacuumed our bedroom alone 5 times and I was still getting stuff in the canister. The first time I did our bedroom, the canister was overflowing with dirt. I kept vacuuming until there was only a little bit of stuff in the canister. Our carpet is all nice and fluffy now and has those vacuum streaks in it, which I love. I am so glad to get this before Linus arrives, because I would hate to have him playing on the floor in all that nastiness! I like my house very clean and I can't believe that I have been living like this, unintentionally of course. I feel a thousand times better knowing that it is cleaner than it was!

4 comments:

Tess said...

I need a new vaccuum too. We keep buying the cheap ones and then we end up with a new one every 1-2 years. BAH. This time I am getting something GOOD.

Becca in Texas said...

That is one of the things I love most about this house. No carpet anywhere downstairs. I keep wishing for a rug to warm things up and help with sound, but J doesnt want one. Both of us are just amazed sweeping the floor every day at what comes up and remember that if it was in carpet we wouldnt even know it was there.

loni said...

Tess, from what I have heard, it doesn't matter how good (or not) the vaccuum is...if you have animals, you're likely going to have to keep buying a new one often.

I am glad that you got a new vaccuum, E. What kind is it? Obviously it's the kind that works very well!

Erin said...

This is the vacuum I purchased recently and I LOOOOOVE it! I had the Hoover Empower before this one and while vacuuming one day it started making a horrendous noise. I rushed out, bought this new vacuum, came home and re-vacuumed my floors and I had the same experience you did...total shock at how full the canister was even though I'd JUST vacuumed about 2 hours before with my old vacuum! LOVE IT!!

And I'm with you on the carpet issue, it's totally disgusting! I wish we could have wood floors!